Friday, November 26, 2010

Homemade Marshmallows

Every Christmas, Williams Sonoma sells the best marshmallows ever. They come individually wrapped and are "homemade." They make hot chocolate sublime. But, they cost about $1 each. So, I thought, I can do better than this.

So, I did. Alton Brown can give you the recipe, but they're just gelatin, sugar, corn syrup and water. Soak the gelatin, cook the syrup, add the syrup to the gelatin in the mixer and mix and mix. Pour onto a powdered sugar/cornstarch lined pan. Top with more powdered sugar/cornstarch. Let set. The absolute hardest part is cutting them, as they stick to everything until you roll them in powdered sugar.

The flavor is just the same as you'd expect from marshmallows, but the texture is much softer. Nice. And when dipped in semi-sweet chocolate, divine.

Sadly, though, as much as I liked the marshmallows, my stand mixer did not. It has departed this world. Now I know what I want for Christmas!

Next project: Homemade Moose Munch! (Aka Carmel Popcorn)

No comments: