Monday, March 16, 2009

Nana's Waffles

A hot, crunchy, buttery, syrup-drenched waffle is the apex of breakfast food. Nana made it so. She made the best ever...with melted butter in the batter, and Papa Jack would make sure there was more melted butter and warm real maple syrup to generously moisten those crunchy brown crevices. Oh, the joy whenever I would arrive in the kitchen to see the waffle maker ready to bake breakfast bliss!
The fabled waffle maker is now mine, and it is so full of good memories. In an attempt to not return to the roly-poly physique of my childhood, I substituted some of the butter for applesauce and half the white flour with wheat, and the results were still magnificent. But Nana's waffle maker helped.
Waffles - modified from Betty Crocker's Cookbook

2 eggs
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 3/4 cups skim milk
4-5 tbsp melted butter
4 tbsp applesauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Beat egg. Gently add other ingredients until mostly smooth. Allow batter to rest for five minutes before cooking.

Charlie Bear was very curious about the steam coming from the waffle maker. I'm sure, for him, it was a hot jet of delicious smell...but sadly, no waffles for puppies.

1 comment:

stephchows said...

This entry made me smile so huge!! I loved my Nana so much and your story about her totally pulled at my heart strings. Make sure to keep putting that waffle maker to good use!